Transforming Tourism Initiative
IT for Change's Khawla Zainab will be speaking at an online seminar on Precarious Futures for Gender Equality in the Post-Covid Tourism World, hosted by the Transforming Tourism Initiative on Thursday, June 17, 02:30 pm CET.
The tourism sector has been severely affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. This has worsened the already precarious situation of women in the industry with unfavorable gender relations that underpin the power structures of tourism, and the severe structural forms of gender-based discrimination.
However, the pandemic has also been an important time to discuss how to re-start the industry responsibly. The transformation of tourism is not possible without transforming gender relations in tourism -- both in employment and in the broader community spheres.
This seminar will bring together women's rights and gender experts in tourism to discuss:
- Which trends are currently influencing the development of tourism and how are they affecting women.
- What is necessary to support gender empowerment during and after the Covid-crisis.
- What mechanisms should be strengthened in order to avoid an increasing precariousness of women working in tourism in the future.
The session speakers include:
- Stroma Cole, Director of Equality in Tourism, UK (moderator)
- Angela Kalisch, Chair of Equality in Tourism, UK
- Baiq Sri Mulya (Lia), Women in Tourism Indonesia, Director of SembaluNina
- Ernest Cañada, Coordinator of Alba Sud, Spain
- Khawla Zainab, Research Associate, IT for Change, India