CORE Net and Aapti Institute
Anita Gurumurthy spoke at a plenary session on The Future of Data Ecosystems at the CORE Net conference on Learnings for Resilience and Resurgence on June 10, 2021. The session was anchored by Aapti Institute and presented by CORE Net.
This plenary was about new frontiers in data, data stewardship, data sharing and emergent ideas of data as a public good. The aimed to understand and unpack the idea of values that get constructed around each of these themes. It highlighted contemporary and new thinking around these issues while unpacking the notion of value that can be associated with these ideas.
- What is the construct of value and who defines it?
- Who are the beneficiaries of the value derived from data sharing? How is it ensured that such values do get accomplished?
- What are the types of value derived from data sharing, for e.g. monetary and public?
- What are the roles of the varied stakeholders (ranging from nonprofits to researchers and communities themselves) in harnessing this value optimally i.e. in protecting the interests of the most vulnerable and ensuring that they get the benefits equally?
- Finally, how can communities themselves be made bigger stakeholders in decisions around their data?
The speakers at the session included:
- Anita Gurumurthy, IT for Change
- Megan Doerr, Sage Bionetworks
- Rahul Matthan, Trilegal
The session was moderated by Astha Kapoor, Aapti Institute.
Hear a recording of the session here.