We are pleased to announce that on May 4, 2021, the United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres appointed IT for Change's Anita Gurumurthy to a ten-member expert group that will support the development of the UN Technology Facilitation Mechanism (TFM). The group will advise on ways to harness science, technology, and innovation to accelerate progress on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The first meeting for the group has been planned for late May 2021. They will work closely with stakeholder groups, including business, youth and children, and the academic and research community.
The other members of the group include:
- Ms. Quarraisha Abdool Karim (South Africa), Associate Scientific Director, Centre for the AIDS Programme of Research (CAPRISA); and Professor, Clinical Epidemiology, Columbia University
- Ms. Cherry Murray (USA), Professor of Physics and Deputy Director for Research, Biosphere 2, University of Arizona
- Ms. Maki Kawai (Japan), Director General, Institute for Molecular Science, Professor Emeritus, The University of Tokyo
- Ms. Salome Guchu (Kenya), Deputy Director of Research, State Department of University Education and Research, Ministry of Education
- Mr. Keywan Riahi (Austria), Director, Energy, Climate and Environment Program (ECE), International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)
- Mr. Carlos Henrique de Brito Cruz (Brazil), Member, Brazilian Academy of Sciences, Senior Vice President (Elsevier), and Professor Emeritus; Elsevier Research Networks; Physics Institute, University of Campinas
- Mr. Yonglong Lu (China), Chair Professor of Xiamen University, and Distinguished Professor of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)
- Mr. Tālis Juhna (Latvia), Vice-Rector for Research and Professor; Chairman of Advisory Board of the Latvian Council of Science, Riga Technical University
- Mr. José Ramón López-Portillo Romano (Mexico), Science Diplomacy Adviser to Mexican Government, Chairman/non-Executive Director, Zenith Energy Ltd.; Co-founder and Chairman of Q-Element